The chapel, situated in the High Street, was built in the 1828 and later enlarged; the join can be seen on the side wall .
The schoolroom was then added, and the pulpit had a back that could be pulled down, so that the congregation could overflow into the schoolroom. The kitchen and water toilets were added in the 1950’s.
Prior to 1828 Methodists met in a room in the building which was later the old, thatched Cock Inn, owned by Mr Panter.
In the chapel we have a piece of the panelling from the room where John Wesley preached on his visits to Hanslope on 7th November 1775, 20th October 1778 and 11th October 1779 (details taken from Wesley’s Journal).
At the beginning of the 20th Century plans were made for a new larger chapel to be built on the site of Hanslope Treasures Shop (building next to chapel). John Rose, who owned the property, sold it to the chapel at low cost for this purpose. However, it was not needed because people moved north to Derbyshire for employment.
In 1978, after celebrating the 150th anniversary, a restoration scheme was undertaken. A solid floor was put in, pews sold and chairs bought instead. Some of those were bought with a legacy from Mrs Winifred McTavish. A legacy from Miss Lottie Hawkes enabled the floor to be carpeted later on.
In 2007, we extended the school room, refurbished the kitchen and brought our facilities up-to-date.
The Church The School room
The Kitchen The Garden